Widnes U16s 32-42 Warrington U16s

Widnes U16s 32-42 Warrington U16s widnesvikings.co.uk

14th March 2019

Widnes Vikings U16s fell to a second-half comeback from Warrington Wolves U16s to lose 42-32 at the Halton Stadium on Wednesday evening. 

The Vikings started the game strongly, and had an opportunity within the first two minutes as Andrew Biddle broke down the middle, but his pass out to Murray was intercepted by Callum Woolfenden to prevent the try.

Following this escape, the away side posted the first points of the evening as Jacob Farrimond touched down. Cosgrove was forced into touch by the Warrington defence, and on the following set, the ball was shifted left and ended with Farrimond collecting a bouncing loose pass to get over in the corner. Thomas Inman missed the conversion. 

The Vikings responded superbly, and took the lead as Reece McConville crossed for a score. James Murray put a kick into the air on the last, Callum Murphy took the high ball but was met immediately by Michael Cosgrove, who hit him hard to force the ball loose. McConville picked up the loose ball to go over on the left edge. James Murray converted the try. 

Thomas Inman restored Warrington’s lead on the back of a rare handling error from the Vikings in the first half. Inside Widnes’ 10, the half back stepped at the line to go over under the sticks. Inman converted his own try.

Widnes rallied instantly from the kick-off, and posted the first of five consecutive tries in the first half as Tyler Pilling crossed in the right corner. After forcing the Warrington kick-off catcher into touch to put themselves into position, the Vikings shifted the ball to their right edge and Tyler Pilling finished nicely in the corner. James Murray missed the touchline conversion. 

Five minutes later, and Andrew Biddle scored a typical hooker’s try to hand the Vikings the lead. On the play previous, Jonathan Bennison offloaded superbly in the tackle to allow the home side to get inside Warrington’s 20. On the back of that, Biddle darted out from dummy half and was able to barge over from close range. Murray converted the try to make the score 16-10. 

Michael Cosgrove grabbed his first try of the evening shortly after this when finishing a move from the Vikings. A neat, inventive short-side play allowed Leighton Hesketh to break down-field, and the centre drew in the full-back to allow Cosgrove a run in under the sticks. James Murray added the extras from in front. 

Connor Goldthorpe was the next on the scoresheet for the home side on 32 minutes. Pressure was being placed on the Widnes line by their opponents after a number of sets, but a loose pass to the deck was scooped up by Goldthorpe and he was able to run the length of the field and go over. James Murray missed the conversion.

The final score of the half was Cosgrove’s second, and came rather fortuitously for the home side. A James Murray kick over the top of the defensive line bounced to wrong-foot Murphy, and Cosgrove picked up the loose ball for a walk in. James Murray converted to hand the Vikings the lead at the break. 

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings U16s 32-10 Warrington Wolves U16s

Warrington came out firing at the start of the second half and scored early through Ellis Murphy . A flat pass at the line was met by Murphy, and he was able to go over untouched. Inman missed the conversion.

Ten minutes later, the Wire scored a similar score to their previous try as Callum Murphy dove over from close range. Inman was successful with the boot to reduce the gap to just 12 points.

The away side grabbed back-to-back scores as Nicholas Staveley touched down. On the back of a penalty to put them into position, Whitehead was able to get the ball down despite immense pressure from three Widnes defenders. Reece Briers converted the try to cut the deficit to 6. 

The Wire drew level three minutes later as Reece Briers was first to a kick to score. A grubber kick from Inman went under the sticks into the in-goal, and Briers was able to be first there and ground the loose ball. Briers converted the try to level it up at 32-32. 

Thomas Whitehead gave the home side the lead on 62 minutes, as he was able to take advantage of unset defenders to go over. On the back of Briers’ try, the away side broke down-field before being brought down by full back Ryan Barnes. The ball was shifted to the right, and Whitehead evaded two tacklers to score. Reece Briers converted the try. 

The final score of the evening went to the Wire, and sealed the victory as Denive Balmforth was able to over power two Widnes defenders and get the ball down, despite being pushed back in-field. Briers missed the conversion but the Wolves took the win. 

The Vikings can take much away from the game, especially their first half performance, as they take on Wigan Warriors U16s on home soil in two weeks time. 


Full-Time: Widnes Vikings U16s 32-42 Warrington Wolves U16s 

Widnes Vikings U16s: Ryan Barnes, Tyler Pilling, Harry Parkinson, Leighton Hesketh, Michael Cosgrove, Connor Goldthorpe, James Murray, Daniel Brewin, Andrew Biddle, Ryan Lockett, Sam Goldthorpe, Reece McConville, Jonathan Bennison. Subs - Leon Molyneaux, Josh Robinson, Kieran Tyrer, James Whalley. 

Warrington Wolves U16s: Ciaran Moody, Callum Murphy, Jacob Farrimond, Charlie Sutcliffe, Gabriel Payne, Reece Briers, Thomas Inman, Luke Thomas, Toby Good-Marsh, David Mills, Callum Woolfenden, William Hadwen, Thomas Whitehead. Subs: Jack Houghton, Callum Gregory, Ethan Bradbury, Toby Hughes, Kieran Rennox, Nicholas Staveley, Denive Balmforth


Penalties - Widnes: 6, Warrington: 5

HT - 32-10

FT - 32-42

Widnes U16s 32-42 Warrington U16s widnesvikings.co.uk