Leeds Rhinos 34-0 Widnes Vikings

Leeds Rhinos 34-0 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk

20th July 2018

Widnes Vikings were kept scoreless at the Emerald Headingley Stadium, as Leeds Rhinos picked up a 34-0 victory.

Francis Cummins was forced into late changes to his line-up as Chris Houston and Aaron Heremaia had withdrawn from selection in the Captain’s Run. Brad Walker was promoted to the bench, with Sam Wilde coming into the 17 for his 50th career appearance. Patrick Ah Van also returned to the side in place of the injured Stefan Marsh, whilst Weller Hauraki replaced Tom Olbison in the back row.

Widnes made a promising start, but that was undone on 13 minutes when Danny Walker was sent to the sin-bin for a lifting tackle on Ash Handley after he had supported a Jack Walker break.

The first score of the game followed shortly after, as Leeds made the extra man pay on the 17th minute. Brad Dwyer, who had looked lively in the opening stages, found a gap in the Vikings defence and managed to brush off Owen Buckley and Olly Ashall-Bott to find the try line for an unconverted score.

Within four minutes, the Rhinos doubled their advantage through Luke Briscoe. The winger raced 50 metres after picking up a Joe Mellor knock-on, with the Widnes halfback unable to make Krisnan Inu’s offload stick.

From the kick-off, the visitors managed to force an error from Adam Cuthbertson and put themselves in a great position to reply. It wasn’t to be though as Matt Whitley’s last tackle kick found touch via a Leeds defender, who was judged to have not played at the ball.

Widnes’ best chance of the first half came five minutes from the hooter, as Ashall-Bott found a hole and looked certain to be on his way to the try line. However, the play was pulled back as James Child spotted an obstruction, and up the other end of the field, Richie Myler crashed over from close range to rub salt in the wound.

On the stroke of half-time, a frantic passage of play saw almost every Leeds player touch the ball, ending in Matt Parcell finding a way through the defensive line to make it 20-0 at the break.

Half-time: Leeds Rhinos 20-0 Widnes Vikings

From the kick-off set, Gil Dudson’s offload was knocked on by Whitley, giving Leeds a scrum 20 metres from the try line which they capitalised on, with Joel Moon racing in under the crossbar.

Five minutes later, Tom Briscoe managed to find enough space on the right edge to plant the ball down before being bundled into touch, with Myler off target with the conversion attempt.

It wasn’t until the 70th minute that the scoreboard changed again, as Jack Walker found enough space to dive over after Leeds had trapped Buckley in-goal to force a goal-line drop out.

The Vikings almost broke their deadlock in the following set, as Mellor found a gap and raced for the corner, but a high tackle prevented him from crossing the whitewash.

Weller Hauraki was sin-binned in the final minute after tempers had flared, with the defending Super League Champions seeing out the final set to secure a vital win.

Full-time: Leeds Rhinos 34-0 Widnes Vikings

Widnes Vikings: Olly Ashall-Bott, Patrick Ah Van, Charly Runciman, Krisnan Inu, Owen Buckley, Joe Mellor, Danny Craven, Ted Chapelhow, Danny Walker, Gil Dudson, Matt Whitley, Weller Hauraki, MacGraff Leuluai. Subs: Sam Wilde, Jay Chapelhow, Brad Walker, Wellington Albert.

Leeds Rhinos: Jack Walker, Tom Briscoe, Ash Handley, Luke Briscoe, Ryan Hall, Joel Moon, Richie Myler, Brad Singleton, Brad Dwyer, Mitch Garbutt, Carl Ablett, Liam Sutcliffe, Adam Cuthbertson. Subs: Jimmy Keinhorst, Mikolaj Oledzki, Dom Crosby, Matt Parcell.

Tries: Dwyer (17), L. Briscoe (21), Myler (36), Parcell (39), Moon (42), T. Briscoe (47), Walker (70) Goals: Myler 3/7

Leeds Rhinos 34-0 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk