Widnes Vikings 18-38 St Helens

Widnes Vikings 18-38 St Helens widnesvikings.co.uk

19th May 2018

Widnes Vikings were beaten 38-18 by St Helens at the 2018 Dacia Magic Weekend at St James' Park.

The Vikings made an error from the kick-off, as Marsh’s kick went out on the full, but solid goal line defence kept the League Leaders out.

Denis Betts’ side capitalised on that, and Matt Whitley grabbed the first try of the afternoon on the five minute mark. On the back of a penalty to put them into position, Jordan Johnstone darted out from dummy half, hit Whitley on a short ball, and Matt was able to touch down. Stefan Marsh converted the try.

The Saints responded quickly, and Danny Richardson levelled the scores up a few minutes later. Back rower Dom Peyroux was able to bust a couple of tackles and break, and he drew in Hanbury before passing to Richardson to go over. The half back converted his own try. 

By the 15th minute mark, Justin Holbrook’s side took the lead for the first time, as Mark Percival was awarded a try by the video referee after Keinhorst could not fully gather a Barba kick. Richardson converted the try.

The Saints extended their lead shortly afterwards as Regan Grace touched down in the left corner. Barba grubber kicked through on the last tackle, Hep Cahill fumbled the ball, and Grace simply picked the ball up and touched down. Danny Richardson converted the try from the touchline. 

The Vikings responded superbly, and reduced the deficit as Wellington Albert powered over. The Papua New Guinea international hit a short ball 10 metres out, and was able to stretch an arm out and touch down close to the sticks. Stefan Marsh converted the try.

The Saints’ two score lead was restored shortly afterwards as Ben Barba touched down in the right hand corner. They were put into position on the back of a penalty, then shifted the ball right and the Australian full back evaded Whitley’s tackle and dove over. Richardson missed the conversion.

The Vikings had the last say of the half, as Jimmy Keinhorst grabbed his first try in Vikings’ colours on the half time hooter. After Peyroux’s sin-binning for taking Heremaia out off-the-ball, a Joe Mellor inspired move which went through the hands of about 6 Vikings, Jimmy Keinhorst collected and touched down. Stefan Marsh converted from the try from the touchline to reduce the lead to four points at the break.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings 18-22 St Helens

Saints extended their lead through the boot of Danny Richardson early in the second half, as both sides nullified the other in the early stages. 

Justin Holbrook’s side extended their lead 15 minutes into the second half as Ryan Morgan touched down. Wellington Albert knocked on trying to intercept an offload, and on the free play, they moved the ball right and Morgan went in at the corner. Danny Richardson missed the touchline conversion.

The centre then grabbed his second of the afternoon, with the help of the video referee, and stretched the lead to 14 points for the League Leaders after Richardson missed the touchline conversion.

The final score of the afternoon was to winger Regan Grace, who pounced onto a loose pass that hit the deck, and ran 60 metres to touch down under the sticks. Danny Richardson converted the try to hand St Helens the victory.

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 18-38 St Helens

Widnes: Hanbury, Ah Van, Runciman, Keinhorst, Marsh, Mellor, Heremaia, J. Chapelhow, Johnstone, Burke, Whitley, Wilde, Cahill. Replacements: Olbison, Leuluai, D. Walker, W. Albert.

St Helens: Barba, Makinson, Morgan, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Richardson, Douglas, Roby, Thompson, Peyroux, Taia, Wilkin. Replacements: Fages, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Knowles, Lees.

Widnes Vikings 18-38 St Helens widnesvikings.co.uk