Widnes Vikings 90-0 Coventry Bears

Widnes Vikings 90-0 Coventry Bears widnesvikings.co.uk

21st April 2018

Widnes Vikings ran in 17 tries as they progressed safely into the sixth round of the Challenge Cup with a 90-0 victory over Coventry Bears.

The Vikings ran in ten tries in the first half, including a hat-trick for Rhys Hanbury and a double for Patrick Ah Van on the winger’s return.

Rhys Hanbury claimed his first score in the opening minute, receiving Alex Gerrard’s pass after the forward had burst through the line. Tom Gilmore converted the try. 

Ah Van then went over for the first of his double in the first half. The winger found himself one-on-one with Errol Carter and had too much power for his opposite number and touched down.

Another of the Vikings’ returning stars, Lloyd White, was next to go over the whitewash. The Welshman had Tom Gilmore to thank for his score after the half-back created space with a well-timed dummy and easily passed to Lloyd for a walk-in.

Hanbury and Craven then added tries for the Vikings, before the Bears enjoyed their first real attacking spell of the tie after 30 minutes – but their attacking kick was collected well in the air by Ryan Ince.

Widnes dealt well with the Bears’ pressure and resumed attacking play of their own, with Brad Walker collecting a Leuluai pass to run 40 metres to touch down, before Matt Whitley went over from a short ball 20 metres out. 

Rhys Hanbury’s hat-trick try came shortly afterwards as another Leuluai assist helped the Australian to another score.

The Vikings made it 54-0 at the break, with Stanton Albert having his first real contribution in a Vikings jersey. The forward broke through the Bears line and almost had a try on debut, but he opted, under a last-ditch tackle attempt from Gant, to offload to the supporting Craven to go over for the tenth try of the afternoon.

Half-time: Widnes Vikings 54–0 Coventry Bears

The Vikings continued in a similar manner as to which they started the first as Ed Chamberlain was able to score a try out wide on 49 minutes after good work from Tom Gilmore inside him.

Danny Walker, who replaced White at the break, then went over for a try as he darted out superbly from dummy half, rounded the full back and touched down for a nice score. 

It was then Craven’s turn to score a quickfire double, taking his tally for the game to four. His third saw Gerrard break through and pass to Walker, who then offloaded to Craven. The playmaker’s final try of the game came in similar fashion, with Sam Wilde’s offload sending him over for his fourth.

Patrick Ah-Van reached three tries for the afternoon as the Vikings moved it wide to the left wing, before the winger stepped inside his man to touch down after collecting a cut-out pass.

Gilmore added another assist, which was this time created after the half-back weaved through the opposition defence and lofted a one-handed pass that gave Jay Chapelhow a simple finish.

Widnes’s final try of the afternoon came from Ryan Ince, their tenth different scorer of the tie. The Vikings found an overlap on the right-hand side and the ball was fed to Ryan to touch down with four minutes to go.

Full time: Widnes Vikings 90-0 Coventry Bears


By Jonny Whitfield

Widnes Vikings 90-0 Coventry Bears widnesvikings.co.uk