Widnes Vikings 10-18 Warrington Wolves

Widnes Vikings 10-18 Warrington Wolves widnesvikings.co.uk

16th February 2018

Widnes Vikings were narrowly beaten 18-10 by local rivals Warrington Wolves in a feisty Derby encounter.

The away side started in the ascendency, and posted the first points of the night as Ryan Atkins touched down inside the opening ten minutes. Solid yards from their forwards got the Wolves into attacking territory, and Dec Patton’s kick to the corner was taken well by Atkins under pressure, and he managed to get the ball down. Bryson Goodwin missed the conversion.

Steve Price’s side extended their lead shortly afterwards as full-back Stefan Ratchford crossed the line. The Wolves were put into position on the back of a penalty, and made it count as on the first play, Ratchford collected a short ball to break and rounded Hanbury to score. Bryson Goodwin converted the try.

The Vikings responded well to that try, and got on the scoreboard as Krisnan Inu touched down in the right hand corner. Joe Mellor received the ball on the last tackle, dabbed it through the Warrington defence superbly, and the centre picked it up to score. Tom Gilmore missed the conversion towards the right touchline to keep the difference to six points at the break.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings 4-10 Warrington Wolves

The Wolves started the second half in the same manner they did the first, with Ryan Atkins extending their lead. In a similar fashion to his first, the centre out jumped all Vikings defenders, from a Ratchford kick, to collect the ball and get the ball down. Goodwin converted his try.

The away side continued to be on the front foot, and thought they had stretched the lead further as Tom Lineham dived in at the corner, but the play was pulled back for a forward pass and the Vikings survived. 

Bryson Goodwin’s boot were the source of the next points in the game, as a penalty conversion on the back of the Vikings holding down stretched the lead to more than two scores.

Another try for the Wolves was disallowed shortly afterwards as Jack Hughes rounded Hanbury to score but substitute referee Scott Mikalauskas, in place of Phil Bentham who had to be replaced through injury, pulled the play back because of an altercation between Krisnan Inu and Ben Currie.

The Vikings rallied to this, and the big centre went in for his second try with 15 minutes to go. Tom Gilmore’s cross-field kick was taken out of the air superbly by Inu, and Krisnan was able to dive over despite pressure from Warrington defenders. Gilmore added the extras with the boot.

The game turned tense, as the Vikings tried to get back on top, and Mike Cooper was sent to the sin bin after a brilliant Danny Craven break, but the home side couldn't convert their chances and Steve Price's side held on for their first win of the year.

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 10-18 Warrington Wolves

Widnes Vikings - Hanbury, Marsh, Inu, Whitley, Ashall-Bott, Mellor, Gilmore, J.Chapelhow, Heremaia, Cahill, Dean, Wilde, Houston Subs - D.Walker, Burke, Craven, Olbison

Warrington Wolves - Ratchford, Lineham, Goodwin, Atkins, Russell, Brown, Patton, Hill, Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, Westwood Subs - Crosby, Smith, Murdoch-Masila, Philbin

Widnes Vikings 10-18 Warrington Wolves widnesvikings.co.uk