Widnes Vikings 26-22 Warrington Wolves

Widnes Vikings 26-22 Warrington Wolves widnesvikings.co.uk

29th December 2017

Widnes Vikings survived a late comeback from Warrington Wolves to record an encouraging 26-22 victory in the Festive Derby.

The Vikings started the stronger of the two in this derby, and posted points to reflect their dominance through Olly Ashall. On the back of a penalty for obstruction to put Denis Betts’ side into position, Ashall hit a disguised inside pass from Gilmore to put the Vikings into the lead. Tom Gilmore added the extras. 

Ben Westwood was sent to the sin-bin for the Wolves midway through the first half after coming together with Jordan Johnstone, and the Vikings made the extra man count as Ashall scored his second try of the night. A scrum move on the Wolves’ 10 metre line went through hands from right-to-left and found Ashall, who dummied one and managed to get over the try line. Gilmore once again added the extras. 

The first half got even better for Denis Betts’ side as Stefan Marsh extended the Vikings’ lead to 16 points. Olly Ashall put the home side into position with a brilliant 50 metre break, and after shifting the ball to the left edge to Marsh, the centre barged over from close range. Gilmore couldn’t convert there try.

The Vikings extended the lead even further before the break as debutant Owen Buckley scored in the left hand corner. Tom Gilmore put the ball into the air, and Buckley collected superbly to touch down. Gilmore missed the conversion.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings 20-0 Warrington Wolves

The Vikings started the second half in the manner they finished the first as Keanan Brand extended the scoreline further. A great break from James Chapelhow put the home side in attacking territory, and a great grubber from Johnstone was touched down by Brand in the corner. Tom Gilmore added the extras.

Steve Price’s side posted their first points of the night as former Viking Jack Johnson stepped well close to the line to sneak over. They were put into position from a penalty and the Wolves used their territory well to score. Harvey Livett converted the try.

The Wolves started to gain the ascendency, and scored their second try of the night as Toby King touched down. King was first in the air to collect a kick and he dived over untouched. Harvey Livett couldn’t convert the try.

The away side continued to reduce the deficit and did so as Toby King again crossed the try line. A Dec Patton cross field kick was plucked out of the air by King and he dived over for brace. Harvey Livett added the extras.

A grand stand finish to the Festive Derby was set up as the Wolves then cut the lead to just one score as youngster Patrick Moran charged onto a short ball to score under the sticks. Dec Patton added the extras with just a minute left on the clock. 

The Vikings held on, however, with a strong defensive effort at the close to record an encouraging victory in their first hit out of the new season.

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 26-22 Warrington Wolves

Widnes Vikings: Ashall, Brand, Chamberlain, Marsh, Buckley, Mellor, Gilmore, Burke, Johnstone, J.Chapelhow, Dean, Whitley, B.Walker. Subs - Roby, Walters, Norman, Freeman, Lyons, T.Chapelhow, Olbison, D.Walker, Wilde, Farnworth.

Warrington Wolves: J.Johnson, Russell, Goodwin, T.King, Lineham, Livett, Patton, Cooper, Smith, King, Philbin, L.Johnson, Westwood. Subs - Moran, Robson, Pilling, Pinder, Brown.

Widnes Vikings 26-22 Warrington Wolves widnesvikings.co.uk