Halifax RLFC 12-36 Widnes Vikings

Halifax RLFC 12-36 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk

13th August 2017

Widnes Vikings picked up their first two points of the Super 8s, The Qualifiers with a convincing 36-12 win over Halifax RLFC at the MBI Shay Stadium.

The Vikings started the game in a positive manner and posted the first points of the game through centre Chris Bridge. After pushing at a Halifax scrum to recover the ball, the Vikings hit Bridge with a short flat pass, and he was able to sidestep a defender and muscle his way over the try line. Lloyd White converted the try from in front of the sticks.

Despite having the majority of the possession and attacking position in the first half, the Vikings couldn’t convert pressure into points until the 31st minute when Lloyd White extended the score. Joe Mellor stepped and half broke the Halifax line and offloaded to the supporting hooker to stroll over. White converted his own try.

Denis Betts’ side extended the lead further with a try from Charly Runciman. Stefan Marsh almost went in a couple of tackles earlier following a brilliant Bridge offload, but the Vikings continued probing the Halifax line and a nice shift from right-to-left ended with a nice Hanbury flick pass putting Runciman into space to score. Lloyd White converted brilliantly from the touchline to give the Vikings a three-score lead at the break.

Half-Time: Halifax RLFC 0-18 Widnes Vikings

The Vikings continued in the same manner in which they finished the first, as Corey Thompson was the latest to cross the try line. Chris Bridge moved from his right centre position to link up with Mellor, Craven and then Runciman to put Thompson into space and dive over. 

It proved to be a quick-fire double for the Australian winger as he superbly grabbed his second of the afternoon by leaping higher than Ben Heaton to collect a towering Craven bomb to score well. White again missed the conversion from the left hand side.

Halifax got themselves onto the board with an intercept try from Ben Heaton. Rhys Hanbury collected a Murrell kick, ran laterally and tried to pass to Thompson, who would have been in space, but the ball was intercepted by Heaton to run in from 40 metres. Steve Tyrer converted the try.

The home side continued in the ascendancy, and scored again as Ben Heaton finished well in the corner. A cross-field kick from former Viking, Steve Tyrer, was patted back to Michael Sio, who passed out to the winger over Thompson’s reach to score. Tyrer converted the try from the touchline.

The Vikings rode the Halifax pressure, and finally put the game to bed as Joe Mellor scored to crown his 150th career appearance. The half back collected a pass close to the line and was able to evade a couple of tacklers to score. Lloyd White added the conversion.

The away side continued in the same manner, and had the last say of the afternoon as Danny Craven was able to cross the line after a good solo effort, in which he stepped and weaved to get over on the Vikings' left edge. White couldn’t add the extras but the Vikings picked up a vital two points. 

Full-Time: Halifax RLFC 12-36 Widnes Vikings

Halifax RLFC: Sharp, Heaton, Barber, Tyrer, Worrincy, Murrell, Johnston, Morris, Kaye, Fairbank, Grady, Cahalane, Grix. Subs - Woodburn-Hall, Sio, Moore, Douglas.

Widnes Vikings: Hanbury, Marsh, Bridge, Runciman, Thompson, Craven, Mellor, Buchanan, White, Dudson, Whitley, Houston, Cahill. Subs - Manuokafoa, J.Chapelhow, Olbison, Johnstone.

Halifax RLFC 12-36 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk