Warrington Wolves 22-6 Widnes Vikings

Warrington Wolves 22-6 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk

20th July 2017

Widnes Vikings were beaten 22-6 by local rivals Warrington Wolves on Thursday evening at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. 

From the opening tackle of the game, the Vikings dropped the ball through Dudson and were punished on the next set. Kevin Brown changed sides from left-to-right on the last tackle to throw a nice cut-out pass to Matty Russell, and the winger managed to muscle over Corey Thompson to get the ball down. Stefan Ratchford couldn’t add the extras.

The home team continued their pressure on the Vikings line and they crossed the line five minutes later as Lineham touched down from a Patton kick, but the effort was ruled out as Warrington were ruled offside from the initial kick. 

The Vikings responded superbly to going behind and scored through half-back Joe Mellor. Brad Walker found Mellor on the last, and Joe was able to step through the Warrington defence brilliantly to break the line, before rounding Ratchford to touch down. Stefan Marsh added the extras.

In a half that wasn’t littered with chances and openings, the Vikings went into the break with the lead, as a brilliant Corey Thompson cover tackle on Ryan Atkins stopped the centre scoring in the final moments. .

Half-Time: Warrington Wolves 4-6 Widnes Vikings

The Vikings started the second half well and were pressuring the Warrington line, and looked to be over as Olbison crashed onto a Cahill pass, but he fumbled the ball with the try-line waiting, and handed the home side a reprieve.

The home side responded to the Vikings pressure and scored through new recruit Peta Hiku. Dec Patton’s nice cross-field kick was plucked out of the air by the centre before Runciman could get there and he dived over the try line. Ratchford converted Hiku’s try.

Tony Smith’s side extended their lead further as Kevin Brown collected a nice Patton reverse kick to touch down under the sticks, after it needed confirming by video referee Phil Bentham. Ratchford converted the try.

Matty Russell grabbed his second score of the night as good hands from the Wolves’ right edge put him into space, and he was able to beat Corey Thompson to touch down. Stefan Ratchford converted the Warrington try to end the scoring for the night and hand the two points to Tony Smith’s side.

Full-Time: Warrington Wolves 22-6 Widnes Vikings

Warrington Wolves: Ratchford, Russell, Hiku, Atkins, Lineham, Patton, Brown, Cooper, Clark, Sims, Jullien, Hughes, Philbin. Subs - King, Savelio, Currie, Smith.

Widnes Vikings - Thompson, Armstrong, Chamberlain, Runciman, Marsh, Mellor, B.Walker, J.Chapelhow, Johnstone, Dudson, Whitley, Olbison, Cahill. Subs - Gerrard, Burke, D.Walker, T.Chapelhow.

Warrington Wolves 22-6 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk