Wigan Warriors 28-12 Widnes Vikings

Wigan Warriors 28-12 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk

2nd July 2017

Widnes Vikings were beaten 28-12 by Wigan Warriors at the DW Stadium, a scoreline that flattered the home side.

In a start that was littered with errors and dropped balls, it was the home side that took the lead. Leuluai’s perfectly placed kick on the last tackle was delivered into the line of Sean O’Loughlin, who charged onto the ball and dived over. George Williams converted the try.

The home side continued their ascendency and extended their lead further as Tony Clubb charged onto a Sam Powell drop-off to power over under the sticks. George Williams again converted the try.

Two minutes later and Wigan further extended their lead through Lewis Tierney. Following an Alex Gerrard knock on, which put the Warriors into attacking position, good hands from Wigan got it out to Bateman, who sidesteped and passeed out to Tierney who had the space to score. Williams missed the conversion from the touchline.

The Vikings responded in the final minute of the half as Lloyd White finished a brilliant move. Joe Mellor made a break on half-way to put the Vikings into position, but was tackled. Gilmore and Craven shifted the ball out to Thompson on the left-wing, who cut inside and beautifully chiped it into White’s path to collect and score. Lloyd converted his own try on the hooter.

Half-Time: Wigan Warriors 16-6 Widnes Vikings

The Vikings came out firing in the second half and cut the Wigan lead further through Lloyd White once more. Danny Craven’s kick on the last deflected off a Wigan player and into the path of White, who picked it up on half-way and ran 50 metres to score, even selling Sam Tomkins with a nice dummy in the build up. White again converted his own try. 

The Vikings were now in control of the game. They almost levelled up the scores as a Joe Mellor cut-out pass found Marsh in a bit of space in the right corner. Marsh looked to be in but a great covering tackle from Joe Burgess forced Stefan into touch.

The scoreline stayed the same until the final eight minutes when a Joe Burgess double sealled the game for the home side. His first try was a simple finish after good work from Oliver Gildart initially to make the break, before Sam Tomkins floated a lofted cut-out pass to the winger in space to stroll in. George Williams added the extras.

Burgess’ second came two minutes before the end. The winger chased a Liam Farrell grubber kick into the in-goal which looked to be running dead, managing to get a hand to the ball and get it down. Williams converted to cap the afternoon’s work for the Warriors, despite huge pressure from the Vikings in the second half. 

Full-Time: Wigan Warriors 28-12 Widnes Vikings

Wigan Warriors: S Tomkins; Tierney, Gelling, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Leuluai; Nuuausala, McIlorum, Sutton, Bateman, Farrell, O'Loughlin. Replacements: Clubb, Powell, Wells, Isa.

Widnes Vikings: Craven; Marsh, Bridge, Runciman, Thompson; Mellor, Gilmore; Dudson, White, Buchanan, Whitley, Houston, Cahill. Replacements: O'Carroll, Gerrard, Olbison, Heremaia.

Wigan Warriors 28-12 Widnes Vikings widnesvikings.co.uk