ACADEMY: Widnes Vikings 10-17 Castleford Tigers

ACADEMY: Widnes Vikings 10-17 Castleford Tigers

1st July 2017

Widnes Vikings U19s were beaten 17-10 by Castleford Tigers U19s on a sunny Saturday afternoon at the Halton Stadium.

Both sides threatened each others lines early on in the game. Castleford almost opened the scoring as they spread the ball to their right edge to Jack Render, but Lloyd Roby did outstandingly well to hold the winger up and stop him scoring.

Castleford started to gain the ascendency in the game and opened the scoring through Jake Sweeting. The ball was handed to Jacob Trueman on the last, who sidestepped and broke down the middle and offloaded to his half back partner to go over. The try was converted for the Tigers.

The game continued in a similar pattern. Castleford ran the ball on the last once more to their left edge and Waring had managed to get over the line, but great covering defence from Lyons managed to keep the centre up.

The Vikings gained a little bit more territory and control as the first half wore on, and looked to had scored as Dan Norman crashed onto a short ball and got over the line. However, just like Waring a few minutes earlier, great defence kept the ball up and prevented Norman the try.

After countless attacks on the Castleford line without any points, the Vikings finally posted their opening score of the game close to the half-time whistle as Keanan Brand crossed. Brett Hodgson’s side were put into position following a knock on from Castleford, and straight from the scrum they shifted the ball left and Lloyd Roby put Keanan Brand through a gap to stroll over. Brad Walker converted the try. 

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings U19s 6-6 Castleford Tigers U19s

Brett Hodgson’s words at half time worked wonders as the Vikings came out quickly and scored through Jayden Hatton. They shifted the ball left and Brad Walker fired a cut-out pass to Jayden Hatton who acrobatically finished well in the corner. Brad Walker couldn’t convert from the touchline but the Vikings led for the first time in the game.

The Vikings continued to apply pressure, and twice had tries pulled back for forward passes when they were looking to make their pressure pay. 

The away side then came more into the game and levelled the scorings as half-back Jacob Trueman dummied at the line and went through a gap to score, after a Lloyd Roby knock-on had put the away team into position. The conversion attempt was missed after cannoning off the post.

Castleford would then go on to record back-to-back tries, as a break down the middle put them into Vikings territory before being tackled. After shifting the ball right on the next tackle out to Dixon, the full back managed to break free of the tackle and get over the line and close to the sticks. The try was converted by the away side.

The Vikings tried their best to get themselves back on level terms, but good defensive action from the Tigers kept them out. A Castleford drop-goal five minutes from time would secure the victory for Tony Smith’s side. 

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings U19s 10-17 Castleford Tigers U19s

Widnes Vikings: Lloyd Roby, Tyler Jones, Ben Davies, Keanan Brand, Jayden Hatton, Joe Lyons, Chris Wilson, Pat McCarroll, Danny Walker, Owen Farnworth, Dan Norman, Brad Walker, Calum O’Neill. Subs - Lewis Else, James Rutledge, Luke Draper, Danny King.

Castleford Tigers: Patrick Diskin, Lewis Carr, Robbie Storey, Nathan Waring, Jack Render, Jake Sweeting, Jacob Trueman, Rory Dixon, Shay North, Harvey Near, Jonty Glendinning, Luis Johnson, Luke Million. Subs - Jacques O’Neill, Zachary Freer, Jack Ray, Patrick Burns.

ACADEMY: Widnes Vikings 10-17 Castleford Tigers