REPORT: Widnes Vikings 26-6 Catalans Dragons

REPORT: Widnes Vikings 26-6 Catalans Dragons

4th June 2017

Widnes Vikings recorded their second sucessive win after an emphatic 26-6 victory over Catalans Dragons in a bruising encounter.

It would be a double sin-binning that would be the first highlight of the game as Iain Thornley and Chris Bridge were sent for ten minutes after a coming together after Thornley had caught the ball from a kick. 

The first points of the game would come from the away side and through Sam Moa. Jack Buchanan rushed out of the line to close down Walsh which created a gap in which Walsh fired a flat pass to the front rower to go through and slide over. Walsh added the extras.

The tide of the game was turning, and the Dragons would concede a number of penalties to try and slow the Vikings down as they started to get a roll on. As a result, they were placed on a team warning, and Richie Myler would suffer because of this and was sent to the sin-bin for lying on too long in the tackle.

The Vikings would respond quickly and Jack Buchanan would score his first try of the season to get the home side back on level terms. Receiving the ball close to the line, Jack wouldn’t be stopped and managed to get an arm free to put the ball down over the try-line. Rhys Hanbury added the extras.

The Vikings would then go in front for the first time in the game through Rhys Hanbury. Denis Betts’ side shift it left out to Runciman, who offloads superbly in the tackle back to Rhys who manages to evade tacklers to dive over. Rhys converted his own try to make it a 6-point lead for the Vikings at the break.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings 12-6 Catalans Dragons

The Vikings would come out quickly in the second half, and would score through winger Corey Thompson. Chase’s offload in the tackle found Hanbury, who put Runciman into space, who drew in the defender before passing to Thompson who managed to get over. Hanbury missed the conversion close to the touchline.

Jordan Dazaria was then sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes shortly afterwards for a nasty-looking tackle on Chris Bridge. Another penalty was awarded to the Vikings as Thompson was held down in the tackle after almost breaking through to score under the sticks, and Corey added the extra two points. 

Three minutes later, and the Vikings would again score another penalty goal through Thompson after Sam Moa was penalised and sin-binned for a late tackle on Heremaia as the acting half-back kicked through on the last tackle, making it the 5th yellow card of the afternoon. Thompson kicked it, and made the lead stretch out to 14 points.

The Vikings would then crown the afternoon off superbly as prop forward Jack Buchanan charged onto a drop-off ball to power over, similar to his effort in the first half, for his second try of the afternoon. Corey Thompson added the extra two points and the Vikings recorded back-to-back victories for the first time this season. 

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 26-6 Catalans Dragons

Widnes: Hanbury; Ince, Bridge, Runciman, Thompson; Heremaia, Chase; Dudson, Johnstone, Buchanan, Houston, Whitley, Cahill. Subs: D Walker, Manuokafoa, Olbison, J Chapelhow.

Catalans Dragons: Gigot; Thornley, Inu, Romano, Yaha; Walsh, Myler; Moa, Aiton, Casty, Duport, Bird, Dezaria. Subs: Simon, Da Costa, Seguier, Margalet.

Referee: Ben Thaler

REPORT: Widnes Vikings 26-6 Catalans Dragons