ACADEMY: Widnes Vikings 18-34 Catalans Dragons

ACADEMY: Widnes Vikings 18-34 Catalans Dragons

5th June 2017

Widnes Vikings U19s were beaten 34-18 by Catalans Dragons U19s on Sunday prior to the Vikings first team fixture.

It was the French side who would start the quickest in this fixture, and would score early through Maxime Garcia. Sam Freeman collected a grubber into the in-goal well, but knocked on in trying to get back into the field of play, and Garcia picked up and simply fell over the line. The try was converted.

Two minutes later, and the Dragons would make it a quick fire double as hooker Romain Pallares scored. The hooker would dart out from dummy-half, and be able to muscle his way over the try line to stretch their lead to 12, as the try was converted once more. 

The Vikings would rally quickly, and would score in the left-hand corner through Owen Buckley. Keanan Brand went close a couple of tackles before from the scrum in the right corner, then the Vikings shifted the ball quickly and found Roby, who drew in winger Jordan Flovie and passed to Buckley for a walk-in try. Brad Walker couldn’t add the extras.

Just like the Dragons, Brett Hodgson’s side would score a quick double as Buckley would grab his second of the afternoon. The Vikings would run down the shot left side, and good, quick hands would put Buckley in space again to score. Brad Walker again missed the tough conversion from the touchline.

The Vikings would then take the lead for the first time in the game, as back rower Brad Walker would manage to muscle over. The Vikings shift the ball right, and a good ball from Wilson gave Walker room to work with, and would dummy and muscle his way over from close range. Walker converted his own try.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings 14-12 Catalans Dragons

The Dragons would start brightly in the second half, and would get over the line through Florian Vailhen. The substitute powered onto a short ball and managed to get the ball down despite pressure from two Vikings defenders. The try once more was converted.

Thierry Dumaine’s side would score again and Raphael Cousin would finish well in the corner as the men inside him would go through good hands to give Cousin the ball in enough space to finish well. The conversion for the Dragons was missed.

The Dragons would quickly extend their lead as they received a bizarre penalty when they couldn’t clear the ruck, and they successfully converted the penalty goal.

The Vikings would close the gap to a score as Owen Buckley would grab his hat-trick try with a walk-in after a brilliant cut-out pass from Roby. Brad Walker couldn’t add the extras from the touchline. 

However, the Dragons would restore their two-score lead after Cousin grabbed his second of the afternoon after coming onto a Perez inside ball to squeeze in at the corner. The conversion from the touchline was missed for the French outfit.

Scimone would round the afternoon off for the U19s side as he barged onto a flat pass, broke the line and manages to power over despite pressure from Vikings defenders. The try was converted.  

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 18-34 Catalans Dragons

Widnes Vikings: Lloyd Roby, Sam Freeman, Ben Davies, Keanan Brand, Owen Buckley, Joe Lyons, Chris Wilson, Owen Farnworth, Jake Burns, Pat McCarroll, Dan Norman, Brad Walker, Liam Walsh. Subs: Louis Glover, James Rutledge, Calum O’Neill, Max Dudley.

Catalans Dragons: Fabien Folie, Jordan Flovie, Matthew Laguerre, Thomas Perez, Raphael Cousin, Arthur Morgue, Thibault Franck, Maxime Garcia, Romain Pallares, Bastian Scimone, Corontin Le Cam, Tom Bonjuo, Theo Lardot. Subs: David Demacedo, Florian Vailhen, Lucas Vergniol, Barthelemy Rouge.

ACADEMY: Widnes Vikings 18-34 Catalans Dragons