REPORT: Widnes Vikings 12-34 Wakefield Trinity

REPORT: Widnes Vikings 12-34 Wakefield Trinity

20th May 2017

Widnes Vikings were beaten 34-12 by Wakefield Trinity at the 2017 Dacia Magic Weekend.

It was Chris Chester’s side who would strike first in the game as Scott Grix scored the opening try of the weekend. Ben Jones-Bishop intercepted a lofted Chase pass to run down-field and looked to be over for the try. A brilliant covering tackle from Ryan Ince stopped Jones-Bishop from scoring, but Grix would get into dummy half a couple of tackles later to dive over. Liam Finn added the extras. 

Wakefield would then extend their lead through centre Reece Lyne just four minutes later. Trinity were able to shift it out to their right edge and to Jacob Miller in space, who was able to draw in the Vikings defender before hitting Lyne on a short ball to score. Finn missed the conversion. 

Wakefield would then add one more try before the break as Simon Grix was able to grab his second of the game. Having forced Jack Johnson to drop a Finn kick close to his own line, Trinity shifted the ball left from the scrum and Grix found space to dive over in the corner. Finn converted from the touchline to stretch the lead to 16 points. 

The only other action before the break would be Vikings hooker Lloyd White spending 10 minutes on the sidelines as he was sent to the sin-bin for a tackle after he had chased his own kick deep into Wakefield’s half.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings 0-16 Wakefield Trinity.

Chris Chester’s side had a perfect start to the second half as Manuokafoa dropped the ball from the kick-off to give them attacking position. From that, Ben Jones-Bishop was able to squeeze in at the corner after good hands ended with Grix firing out a cut-out pass to the winger to finish well. Finn added the extras from the touchline. 

The Vikings would respond, and it would be a lovely try from Ryan Ince to give Denis Betts’ side a glimmer of hope. Ed Chamberlain gave Ince a lovely flick pass to put Ince into space, who easily rounded Grix to score. Chamberlain converted the try from in front of the sticks.

Liam Finn would add a penalty goal to stretch Wakefield’s lead to 18 points before Ben Jones-Bishop grabbed his second of the game, with the video referee confirming it. Wakefield pounced on a Widnes dropped ball in their own half and broke down field before Caton-Brown was tackled. A few tackles later and the winger would sneak in at the corner once more after a nice offload freed up a tiny bit of space for him to score. Finn couldn’t add the extras.

Wakefield’s scoring for the day was finished when Matty Ashurst was able to pounce on a Chase misplaced pass, scoop it up and stroll in un-touch to crown Chris Chester’s performance off. Finn added the extra two points from in-front of the sticks.

The Vikings would have the last say of the afternoon as Hep Cahill was able to crash onto a short pass and get the ball down. Chamberlain added the conversion, but the try was little consolation as the Vikings were beaten in the opening game of the 2017 Magic Weekend.

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 12-34 Wakefield Trinity.

REPORT: Widnes Vikings 12-34 Wakefield Trinity