Previous Warrington Meetings

Previous Warrington Meetings

11th May 2017

Widnes Vikings take on Warrington Wolves at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup sixth round on Sunday 14th May. 

Denis Betts' side will be looking to avenge their 2016 Challenge Cup exit at the hands of the Wolves in which they were narrowly beaten 20-18 last year.

Therefore, to whet the appetite, we take a look back at memorable previous victories over Warrington in both the league and cup over the decades.


2015 - Widnes Vikings 30-10 Warrington Wolves - Super League

A Kevin Brown inspired Vikings side were able to overturn Tony Smith’s side at the Select Security Stadium to inflict a third straight loss for the Wolves in Widnes.  

Despite an early score from Ben Westwood, Denis Betts’ side rallied to lead 14-6 at the break, which they would eventually win. 

Tries from Lloyd White, Kevin Brown and braces from Jack Owens and Stefan Marsh helped the Vikings to overcome their local rivals in front of a bumper crowd.

Widnes Vikings: Hanbury; Marsh, Dean, Phelps, Owens; Brown, Mellor; Dudson, White, O'Carroll, Tickle, Galea, Leuluai. Subs: Gerrard, Heremaia, Manuokafoa, Whitley.

Warrington: Ratchford; Penny, Monaghan, Atkins, Russell; Bridge, O'Brien; Hill, Higham, Sims, Currie, Westwood, Harrison. Subs: Clark, Asotasi, England, Laithwaite.


2013 - Warrington Wolves 6-16 Widnes Vikings - Super League

Widnes Vikings produced a brilliant backs against the wall performance to win 14-6 at the Halliwell Jones’ Stadium, despite having Hep Cahill sent off in the first half. 

Simon Grix grabbed an early try for the home side before Cahill saw red for a high shot on Brett Hodgson. Grant Gore was then taken off after suffering a serious knee injury. The Vikings responded well as Jack Owens collected a brilliant Brown kick to reduce the deficit at the break to two points.

After the break, the Vikings continued to rally, and scored 12 unanswered points in the second half through Patrick Ah Van and a second for Jack Owens to extend their lead over the Wolves to 10 points. Warrington threw everything at the Vikings, but Denis Betts’ side defended valiantly to hang on for victory. 

Warrington: Hodgson, Riley, Bridge, Grix, J Monaghan, Ratchford, M Monaghan, Wood, Higham, Hill, Waterhouse, Westwood, McCarthy. Subs: Harrison, Cooper, Dwyer, Laithwaite.

Widnes: Hanbury, Owens, Phelps, Winterstein, Ah Van, Brown, Mellor, O'Carroll, Gore, Kavanagh, Allen, Leuluai, Cahill. Subs: Joseph, Lawton, Isa, Craven.


1991 - Warrington 14-26 Widnes - Challenge Cup Quarter Final

Widnes beat Warrington convincingly at Wilderspool with a 26-14 win to progress to the Semi-Final of the Challenge Cup.

Tries from Andy Currier, David Hulme, Martin Offiah and Emosi Koloto was enough to give the Vikings the victory to move to the next stage of the competition, in which they would lose against St Helens in the semi-final at Burnden Park, Bolton. 

Widnes: Tait, Devereux, Currier, Davies, Offiah, Tyler, D Hulme, Sorensen, McKenzie, Faimalo, R Eyres, Koloto, P Hulme, Wright, Grima. 


1981 - Warrington 9-17 Widnes - Challenge Cup Semi Final

Widnes progressed to the final of the Challenge Cup with a win over Warrington at Central Park in 1981.

Like in the 1975 cup final, John Bevan put Warrington ahead with a try in the left hand corner. Widnes responded through Stuart Wright, who was able to sneak in at the right hand corner after a nice sweeping move from left-to-right including a nice looping cut-out pass from Andy Gregory to set up the chance. 

Widnes would go into the break in the lead as Mick Burke crashed onto a short ball close to the Warrington line to barge over to give Doug Laughton’s side a half time lead. 

The lead would be extended further Eddie Cunningham as the centre would throw a dummy out to Keith Bentley and be able to dive over despite pressure from a Warrington defender. 

Widnes held out for the win and would go on to lift the Challenge Cup as they were able to beat Hull Kingston Rovers 18-9 at Wembley.

Warrington: Hesford, Thackray, Duane, Bevan, M.Kelly, K.Kelly, Gwilliam, Eccles, Waller, Case, Martyn, Potter, Hunter. Sub: Worrall.

Widnes: Burke, Wright, George, Cunningham, Bentley, Hughes, Gregory, O’Neill, Elwell, Lockwood, Gorley, Prescott, Adams. Sub: Smith.


1975 - Widnes 14-7 Warrington - Challenge Cup Final

Widnes won at Wembley for the first time in 11 years as they overcame Warrington 14-7 in an intense encounter to lift the Challenge Cup. 

Winger John Bevan put Warrington in the lead in the Capital in front of 85,998 people, getting on the end of a grubber kick into the in-goal area, with Derek Whithead converting.

However, Vince Karalius’ side would rally and score through prop forward Jim Mills, who was on the end of a move to the right edge and collected a pass from Eric Hughes to stroll over. Lance Todd Winner Ray Dutton would extend the lead further by adding 5 goals, as well as a drop goal, to hand the Chemics the Challenge Cup in 1975.

Widnes: Dutton, Prescott, George, Aspey, Anderson, Hughes, Bowden, Mills, Elwell, Sheridan, Foran, Adams, Laughton

Warrington: Whitehead, Philbin, Noonan, Reynolds, Bevan, Whittle, Gordon, Chisnall, Ashcroft, Wanbon, Conroy, Martin, Philbin.

Previous Warrington Meetings