REPORT: Leeds Rhinos 42-22 Widnes Vikings

REPORT: Leeds Rhinos 42-22 Widnes Vikings

17th April 2017

Widnes Vikings were beaten 42-22 by Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Easter Monday.

The home side came into this game on the back off a good win at Hull FC, and started in similar vain today as Kallum Watkins scored an early try. McGuire’s cross-field kick on the last was collected in the air by Watkins who beat Houston and Craven to score. Watkins converted his own try.

The Rhinos were over a minute later through Matt Parcell in fortuitous circumstances. A high bomb was allowed to bounce by Corey Thompson, the ball ricocheted off the crossbar and landed into the path of Parcell who caught it on the full and dived over. Watkins added the extras.

Leeds then added a third try for the afternoon through stand-in scrum half Joel Moon.Adam Cuthbertson took a strong drive into the Vikings defence and managed to get his arm free to offload to Moon to score. Watkins again was succesful with the boot. 

The Vikings then rallied and responded through half-back Tom Gilmore. On the back of a penalty, the Vikings shifted the ball to their right and Gilmore brilliantly dummied and managed to muscle over. Tom converted his own try to cut the gap to 12. 

But the gap would return to 18 when Joel Moon grabbed his second of the afternoon. The Rhinos were allowed to offload in the tackle and Moon broke down the left-edge by handing the ball to Hall, who outpaced Armstrong and gave the ball back to Moon to score. Watkins added the extras. 

The Rhinos would grab one more before the end of the first half through Tom Briscoe. the winger picked up the ball from dummy half in the right corner and fooled the Vikings defenders by going down the short blind side with both defenders expecting him to go left to score. Watkins again added the extra two points.

Half-Time: Leeds Rhinos 30-6 Widnes Vikings

It was a solid start by both teams to the start of the second half, before the Vikings burst into life and scored through Gilmore again. On the back of two penalties getting the Vikings into position, Jordan Johnstone brilliantly gave Gilmore a cut-out pass from the dummy half position to put him into open space to score. Gilmore converted his try once more. 

Three minutes later, and Chris Houston would reduce the deficit with a try. Gilmore’s nice reverse kick on the last bounces into Farnworth’s path. The debutant would then offload brilliantly as he was heading towards the ground to Houston who managed to get over. Gilmore added the extras to reduce the gap to 12. 

The gap would then be reduced further through Corey Thompson. The Vikings shifted the ball right and a nice ball finds Thompson with a bit of room to work in and evaded a tackler to score. Gilmore couldn’t add the extras but the gap was reduced to 8. 

The away side pushed to try and add further points in a fine spell in the second half but couldn’t get over the try line, and Leeds were able to add two late tries to seal the game. 

Firstly, Kallum Watkins hit a flat McGuire pass to power over, and he converted his own try. Then Parcell finished the afternoon’s scoring off by powering over after collecting a Cuthbertson offload close to the line. Watkins made it 7/7 with the boot to hand the Rhinos the two points. 

Full-Time: Leeds Rhinos 42-22 Widnes Vikings

Leeds: Handley, Briscoe, Watkins, Ward, Hall, McGuire, Moon, Galloway, Parcell, Cuthbertson, Jones-Buchanan, Delaney, Mullally.

Replacements: Burrow, Walters, Garbutt, Baldwinson.

Widnes: Thompson, Marsh, Armstrong, Runciman, Ah Van, Craven, Gilmore, Buchanan, White, Chapelhow, Houston, Dean, Farnworth.

Replacements: Dudson, Walsh, Burke, Johnstone.

Attendance: 15,408.

Referee: Scott Mikalauskas

REPORT: Leeds Rhinos 42-22 Widnes Vikings