MATCH REPORT: Widnes Vikings 10-46 Salford Red Devils

MATCH REPORT: Widnes Vikings 10-46 Salford Red Devils

27th March 2017

Widnes Vikings were beaten 46-10 against Salford Red Devils at the Halton Stadium on Friday 24th March. 

Ian Watson’s side took the ascendency in the first half and took the lead through Lama Tasi. The Red Devils kept the ball alive well and it eventually found half-back Robert Lui, who ran laterally and gave a flat pass to Tasi who muscled over. Gareth O’Brien converted.

Three minutes later, and Salford extended their lead through Greg Johnson. The away side shifted the ball to their right edge and Welham passed to Johnson who managed to score despite Vikings defenders. O’Brien missed the conversion.

George Griffin was the next Red Devils player to score, as he powered onto a Robert Lui flat pass and muscled through the Vikings defence to slide over. O’Brien missed another conversion from the left hand side. 

On the next set, Ben Murdoch-Masila added four points to the scoreline as, just like Griffin, powered onto a short ball and powered over from close range. Michael Dobson converted.

With the Vikings threatening the Red Devils line, a ball went loose and Greg Johnson pounced on the ball and ran 80 metres before being tackled well by Corey Thompson. On the next tackle, Salford worked the ball to their right edge and Kris Welham was able to score in the corner. Dobson converted from the touchline.

The last scoring action of the first half was through Justin Carney, who scored right on the hooter. Simple hands made space for the Red Devils winger to sneak in at the corner, with Dobson missing the conversion to make it 30-0 at the break.

Widnes Vikings 0-30 Salford Red Devils

The Vikings were the first team on the scoresheet two minutes after the break through Corey Thompson. A brilliant, looping cut-out pass from Chris Bridge was ran onto perfectly by Corey Thompson to grab his first try of the year. Hanbury missed the touchline conversion.

Despite this, the Red Devils were the next team to cross the try line through Dobson. Todd Carney, who had only just come onto the field, fired a pass into the path of Junior Sa’u, who sidestepped Armstrong and broke the line before passing inside to Dobson to score. Gareth O’Brien converted.

Robert Lui was to extend the lead further when he received a pass on the Red Devils left edge and ran through a gap to stroll over for the away side. O’Brien missed the conversion.

Salford’s scoring for the night was finished by full-back Gareth O’Brien. Todd Carney broke through the middle, ran 40 metres before offloading to Dobson who was tackled. They quickly shifted to the right and O’Brien dummied and walked over. Dobson added the extras.

The Vikings were the team that would finish the scoring through Rhys Hanbury. A kick over the Red Devils defence bounced awkwardly for O’Brien and that allowed Thompson to kick the ball on and it landed safely and easily into Hanbury’s arms for a stroll in. Chris Bridge added the extras to complete the scoring for the night.

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 10-46 Salford Red Devils.

Widnes Vikings: Hanbury; Thompson, Armstrong, Runciman, Marsh; Heremaia, Craven; Dudson, Johnstone, Buchanan, Olbison, Whitley, Houston.

Replacements: Bridge, Leuluai, J Chapelhow, T Chapelhow.

Salford Red Devils: O'Brien; Johnson, Welham, Sa'u, J Carney; Lui, Dobson; Tasi, Tomkins, Walne, Griffin, Murdoch-Masila, Flanagan.

Replacements: Kopczak, Krasniqi, Brinning, T Carney.

Referee: Chris Kendall

MATCH REPORT: Widnes Vikings 10-46 Salford Red Devils