REPORT: Hull FC 32-12 Widnes Vikings

REPORT: Hull FC 32-12 Widnes Vikings

17th March 2017

Widnes Vikings were beaten 32-12 by Hull FC on a cold, chilly night at the KCOM Stadium.

It was the away side who would strike first through their make-shift half back. On the back off a penalty that got the Vikings into Hull territory, Heremaia received the ball from dummy half, dummied and burst through a gap and muscled his way over the line to score. Lloyd White converted the try.

The lead, however, didn’t last long and the home side responded through Albert Kelly. A towering Marc Sneyd bomb was caught brilliantly by Fonua, who offloaded to the supporting Kelly to step Thompson to score. Sneyd added the extras to make it 6-6.

Despite a lot of pressure from the home side, including plenty of kicks and high bombs, the Vikings defence was holding firm, and good scrambling defence meant the scores were kept level.

The away side were starting to grow back into the game and a great flowing move that was started by a flat Buchanan pass put Jay Chapelhow through a gap, offloaded to Whitley who sidestepped a couple of Hull defenders to put the Vikings in an attacking position. Unfortunately, Chris Bridge knocked on with the Vikings threatening down the right edge.

It was at the half hour mark that the home side would take the lead for the first time in the game through Mahe Fonua. A brilliant cut out pass from off-season recruit Kelly found Fonua who finished well in the corner, although Armstrong pleaded to the referee that his tackle had forced the winger into touch. Sneyd converted from the touchline.

The scores were kept level until the final minute of the half as Hull FC threatened down their right, and the scrambling Vikings defence was penalised on the hooter for a second effort. Sneyd added the extra two points to make it 14-6 at the break.

Half-Time: Hull FC 14-6 Widnes Vikings

The home side started in the same manner that they started the first and Danny Houghton scored shortly after half time. Sneyd grubber kicked inbetween the sticks on the last and the current Man of Steel was first to the ball. Sneyd converted.

Jamie Shaul was the next player on the scoresheet for the home side as he was supporting Mark Minichiello, who broke a tackle on the Vikings right edge, and he simply passed inside to the full back to score. Sneyd added the extras.

A further try came just two minutes later through Albert Kelly, who grabbed his second of the game. Minichiello almost broke through on the tackle before, and then Hull shifted the ball to the right and Kelly dummied and barged over from close range. Sneyd again converted.

But it was the Vikings who were to have the last say in this game through hooker Lloyd White. Chris Houston grubber kicked on the last tackle and it richter into White’s path and he walked in for an easy score. Lloyd White converted his own try to make the score 32-12 at full-time. 

Full-Time: Hull FC 32-12 Widnes Vikings

Hull FC: Shaul, Fonua, Tuimavave, Griffin, Michaels, Kelly, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Bowden, Manu, Minichiello, Thompson. Subs: Ellis, Connor, Green, Washbrook.

Widnes Vikings: Thompson, Marsh, Bridge, Runciman, Armstrong, Craven, Heremaia, J.Chapelhow, White, Buchanan, Houston, Whitley, Cahill. Subs: Leuluai, T.Chapelhow, Olbison, Johnstone.

Referee: Chris Campbell

REPORT: Hull FC 32-12 Widnes Vikings